Home birthing is becoming popular for the first time in many years in western society. As with everything else during the whole pregnancy experience, the mother and father must make personal choices as to whether or not home birthing is the choice for them. These are some of the pros and cons of home birthing to help you make your own personal choice:
Pros of Home Birthing
1. The ability to deliver your baby in the comfort of your own home
2. The ability to have your own choice of caregivers, from Doctors, Midwives, Caregivers, Lay-Midwives, Birth Facilitators, and Birthing Physiotherapists.
3. Home is safe, warm and rellaxing
4. You don’t have to listen to the poor lady in the room next to you who is having a difficult birth
5. Less preasure to “have the baby now”
6. Children can be present if desired (although this may turn them off )
7. No separation from mother an infant
8. Much quieter environment
9. Increased ability to have water births if desired
10. The “spiratuality” of the birthing experience may be emphasized
Cons of Home Birthing
1. If something goes wrong – you are not in a hospital and it may take time to get you there for definitive solutions
2. Although you will be having it in the comfort of your own home, the mess will be in your own house, sheets, bed, carpet…
3. Some insurance companies will not pay for home birthing costs
4. Not all obstetricians will support and be involved in home birthing
5. Filling for a birth certificate may be more complicated
6. Complications may occur if the caregiver is not experienced or trained in birthing complications and birthing emergencies.
At either case… I wish you luck, and fulfilment in this experience whether having a home birth or a hospital birth.