The renal system is primarily involved in homeostasis through regulation of the following factors:
1. The maintenance of blood osmolarity (definition);
2. The maintenance of blood pressure and regulation of blood pressure;
3. Regulation of blood volume;
4. Filtering of the blood to eliminate waste products, such as urea;
5. Fluid and electrolyte balance; and
6. Acide and Base balance/regulation.
The Anatomy of the Renal System includes the following: Two kidneys (generally, but may be more and may be less), two ureters, one urinary bladder and one urethra (in both males and females).
It should be noted that the female urethra is considerably shorter than the males and this introduces the higher occurence and risk of infections, such as a urinary tract infection (UTI).