So, you’ve had a head injury and the paramedic or doctor has told you that you should be alright and you can go home… now what? Well, generally, if you’re at this stage, you should be fine, however, these are some key points to remember for the next 24-48 hours just to be on the safe side:
1.Rest and avoid strenuous activities for at least 24 hours
2. Use paracetamo or paracetamol/codeine for headache and avoid aspirin or other non steroidal anti inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) which may increase the risk of a cerebral bleed.
3. Avoid sport for at least 24 hours
4. Don’t drive for at least 24 hours – its bad enough that you may have a head injury, no reason to accidently cause another person to have one too (if you lose consciousness at the wheel)
5. Don’t drink alcohol – I know it’s just what you want to do to take the pain away, but its not good for you when you have a head injury, and if you do deteriorate, no one will notice whether this is because of the alcohol or the head injury.
6. Don’t take sleeping tablets! Like alcohol, these will distract or hide any signs that your head injury is deteriorating.